Sunday, December 1, 2019

Living: Montreal smoketown

I just witnessed a mother push her baby stroller in the middle of the crosswalk.  Let it go to light a cigarette.  Literally in the middle of the street.  Montreal has a smoking problem.

It is 19 degrees Fahrenheit outside and I saw people bare handed with a cigarette in the hand.  There are signs everywhere that say Smoke Free Air Zone or something like that but in French.  And right outside that area I saw cigarette butts all on the ground.

I witnessed a man pick up a cigarette off the ground to smoke it.  This is not a poor man only habit.  I saw elegant ladies outside in their winter jackets, and while those around them were covering their faces to keep the cold wind away, these ladies were puffing away.

I would think that vaping would be popular here.  Maybe it is, but I didn't see any evidence of that.  I  saw cigarettes and lots of them.  Someone on every corner, every crosswalk I was on with a cigarette.
I asked permission to take a photo of his cigarette as I was crossing the crosswalk.

Empty package of cigarettes on the ground.

On the sidewalk.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...